South Carolina’s Old 96 District Offers Many Liquid Assets to Quench Your Thirst!
Maybe it’s the love of the outdoors or a natural desire to socialize, but South Carolinians have always had a thirst for their own unique beverages- whether sweet tea, cold beer, or that well-known backwoods potion, “white lightening,” aka moonshine.
Dating back to Prohibition are backwoods moonshine stills where farmers turned corn and sugar into “liquid cold.”
South Carolina’s legislative voted in 2009 to change the law to allow production of spirits in 2009. As a result of this action, stills have grown into more than two dozen microdistilleries across the state, producing bourbon, rum, vodka- and yes, modern-day “corn likker.”
The craft beer craze that has swept America the past decade or so has found a home in South Carolina, too, thanks to changes in the laws that allow local brewers to sell beer at their establishments and bottle or can it for sale in groceries and bars.
At the Old 96 District of South Carolina, located just across the GA/SC border, you will find several craft beer and moonshine distributors. See below for a full list of our unique offerings guaranteed to quench your thirst!
- Good Times Brewing (237 Maxwell Ave., Greenwood, SC 29646): Good Times Brewing, in conjunction with The Mill House on Maxwell Avenue in Uptown Greenwood, is a local favorite! With over 25 beers on tap and an extensive bottled selection, you will definitely find something you like. Their menu includes many kinds of lagers, pilsners, ales, specialty and fruit beers, and much more.
- Carolina Moon Distillery (116 Court House Square, Edgefield, SC 29824) Carolina Moon Distillery is a local downtown establishment that offers tours and tastings of moonshine, whiskey, rum, and other spirits. But watch out- it is said that “Edgefield whiskey is mean enough to make a rabbit spit in a bull dog’s face!”
- Tinker’s Alley (104 East Court Square, Abbeville, SC 29620): Tinker’s Alley a quaint bar and grill located at the Belmont Inn in Abbeville. They offer many potent potables at their restaurant bar, including craft beer on tap and bottled beers from around the world. The rich wooden décor and abundant hospitality will have you coming back for more!
- Red Barn Likker (110 Court Square, Abbeville, SC 29620): Red Barn Likker is a microdistillery that specializes in making corn liquor (aka moonshine). This unique business offers bottles for sale and a tasting area for you to sample true southern moonshine.
- Natty’s on Trinity (101 Trinity Street, Abbeville, SC 29620): Natty’s on Trinity is located on the Square in downtown Abbeville, and offers over 25 craft beers on tap as well as an assortment of bottled craft beers. Unwind with some friends, brews, and entertainment at this local hangout
For photos, more information, or other great story ideas, please check out our media room.